Sunday, July 18, 2010

La Nourriture

Mmmm. We had two hot dogs smothered in chili and cheese with fries for dinner. With no veggies. Again. Now don't get me wrong, I love my host family, and the food that my host mom cooks is delicious. But when you indulge in potatoes and meat and fish and fries on a regular basis, isn't there at least some need to try and complement the carbs and protein with maybe some.... carrots? Or a salad? Or at least something green?
The cafeteria at the college isn't much better. The veggie/fruit options are kind of weak, with the carrots, celery, and apples being soft and flavourless. For salad, if you have already taken a meal plate, you are limited to filling up a tiny paper cup that is comparable in size to a cupcake wrapping. My favourite way to "be healthy" for lunch is the little plastic bowls that contain a variety of canned fruits, such as those delicious, sweet mandarin orange pieces that swim in juice.
There is one mystery vegetable that shows up from time to time as a part of the meals. My friends tried to guess what it might be, and figured it could be a parsnip. Funny how we all had heard of parsnips, but none of us actually knew what one looked like. After a Google search, it turns out that the mystery vegetable is a parsnip! We are now all much more enlightened.
Today I bought two grapefruits, and a health smoothie that told me it would provide me with two fruit/vegetable servings. I was unbelievably excited.

3 comments:

  1. Haha it was totally the same i Italy! So much gnocci and ravioli and bread you just don't have any time for living things! I miss you dearly dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, how would it feel if I said I worked in my garden today and from it tonight we are eating beans, potatoes and fresh salad with lemon dill dressing.... With some bbq'd zuccini and fish....

    Mmmmm
    can hardly wait

    Dad's birthday dinner will be homemade fish tacos on corn tortillas and homemade salsa...

    Okay, sorry to tease you.

    love mom

    ReplyDelete